FAQs for Nonprofit Organizations
What is Give Local?
Hosted by the Community Foundation of South Puget Sound, Give Local is a two-week online giving campaign to support nonprofits that serve Thurston, Mason, and Lewis Counties.
What is Early Giving?
The week leading up to the start of Give Local is referred to as Early Giving. For 2020, Early Giving falls from November 2 – 8. Early Giving is a time for participating nonprofits to directly reach out to loyal donors or volunteers to help jumpstart their Give Local campaign. It also serves as a way to help strengthen personal relationships between nonprofits and community members. From a technical perspective, Early Giving is a good time for participating nonprofits to test their campaign page for errors.
What organizations are eligible to participate?
Organizations who are eligible to participate in Give Local 2020 must fit all of the requirements below:
- Be a registered 501(c)(3) or have a fiscal sponsor with a 501(c)(3) - Must maintain 501(c)(3) status throughout event and subsequent fund distribution period
- Be current on tax filings (990)
- Registered with the Secretary of State as a Charity (unless exempt) - Must maintain charity status throughout event and subsequent fund distribution period
- Have a minimum of one-year financial history - Exceptions may be made for organizations with fiscal sponsors
- A minimum of 1/3 of the organization’s programs (this could be determined by participants or budget expenditures) must take place in Thurston, Mason, and/or Lewis Counties
What is required for an organization to participate?
By registering for Give Local, your organization agrees to:
- Publicize an organizational nondiscrimination policy or agree in writing to abide by the Community Foundation’s nondiscrimination policy
- Agree to use all money raised during Give Local – which includes donations, Bonus funds, and prize money – to benefit Thurston, Mason, and/or Lewis Counties through programs which comply with Community Foundation’s nondiscrimination policy
- Have a Give Local profile and Stripe account set up by October 1, 2020
- Attend a minimum of three-hours of training provided by Community Foundation
- Pay registration fee of $35.00 per organization
**Note: Community Foundation of South Puget Sound reserves the right to decline any organization permission to participate in the Give Local program at any time, for any reason, in its sole discretion.
Organizations that are not eligible to participate in Give Local:
- Private foundations (filing a 990PF)
- Support organizations with charity status 509(a)(3-4)
- Government or educational entities with taxing authority, or divisions primarily funded by those entities with tax authority
- Chambers of Commerce
- Foreign organizations
- Religious organizations when funds would be used in whole or in part to further the organization’s religious purposes
- Organizations who intend to use funds raised for regranting purposes
How does the “Bonus Fund” work?
Every dollar raised by your organization will be stretched with a Bonus Fund generously provided by a donor. The Bonus Fund is a proportional match wherein the fund proportionally increases the value of every dollar donated.
Here's how it works – Example with a $100,000 Bonus Fund:
- If a nonprofit organization receives 5% of the total amount of money raised during Give Local 2020, that same nonprofit receives 5% of the $100,000 Bonus Fund (0.05 x $100,000 = $5,000).
- No organization will receive more than $7,500 of the Bonus Fund
- For example, if your organization raises 20% of all the funds raised during Give Local, your match will be capped at $7,500. This “cap” is in place to ensure that all participating nonprofits will get the chance to benefit from the Bonus Fund.
Can donors send in checks during Give Local?
We encourage online donations to the Give Local platform, but cash, checks, stock, and other types of gifts will be accepted. The Community Foundation will manually add offline donations made during Give Local to the nonprofit organization’s online total. Gifts must be received by Friday, November 20 at 5:00pm to count toward an organization’s Give Local total.
Checks must be made out to “Community Foundation of South Puget Sound” and please write the name of the organization you’d like to support in the memo.
For questions, call us at (360) 705-3340.
Checks may be mailed to:
- Community Foundation of South Puget Sound
(please write the organization you’d like to support in the memo)
212 Union Avenue SE, Suite 102
Olympia, WA 98501
How much of each donation goes to my organization?
All of it! With every online donation, there is a standard transaction fee assessed by the credit card company and fees associated with the Give Local online giving platform. However, thanks to the generous support of our Give Local presenting sponsors, credit card and platform fees will be covered so that 100% of the donations will be passed along to the nonprofit.
Does the Community Foundation receive any portion of the donations or fees?
No, the Community Foundation of South Puget Sound does not receive any portion of your donations or the related transaction fees. However, the Community Foundation will be eligible for donations during Give Local through the checkout process.
When will organizations receive their Give Local contributions?
Participating organizations will receive online donations through an online payment processor. The Community Foundation will process check donations and Bonus Funds earned, mailing checks for the total by December 31, 2020.
Will my organization receive donor information, so that we can thank our supporters?
Yes. You will receive donor information during and after the event. We strongly encourage you to thank donors for their support.
Is there a limit to the amount I can raise through Give Local?
No. You have the ability to set any goal you want. No organization will receive more than $7,500 from the Bonus Fund.
What if I don’t reach my goal?
That’s OK. Unlike many crowdfunding sites, the Community Foundation does not penalize you for not reaching your goal. All donations made through your fundraising page will be passed along to the designated nonprofit organization.
What if I have other questions?
Please contact Melissa Rosscup at
or call 360-705-3340 with additional questions about Give Local 2020.